Las Diosas is an incredible all-female coffee farming cooperative made up of four smaller primary level cooperatives in Northern Nicaragua representing over 360 women. The co-op is affiliated with Fundacion Entre Mujeres (FEM), one of the most respected women's empowerment organizations in Nicaragua. FEM promotes participation in the economic and social development of rural women in the Department of Estelí, through productive projects, education, technical advice, women's health, workshops on gender awareness, which work towards the improvement of the situation of women in their area.
Las Diosas, based in the town of Esteli, not only grows coffee for export, they also produce honey, Jamaica wine and tea, and roasted coffee to sell in local markets. The women have been trained in agroecological farming practices that not only satisfy organic certification, but also go beyond to focus on the health of the soil, other plants, the water, and the entire environment in their communities. Survivors of many hardships in the past ten years including earthquakes, landslides, drought, plant disease, and hurricanes, the women of Las Diosas are fearless, resilient, and persistent in their work.
From our coffee cupping:
- Aroma: Vanilla, Malt, Dark Chocolate
- Flavor: Tobacco, Raisin, Milk Chocolate
- Aftertaste: Lingering bitter sweet chocolate
- Acidity: Mild
- Body: Balanced
- Balance: Well balanced and quite consistent
- Overall/Notes: A hint of bitter sweet chocolate and slightly peachy aftertaste.
Details About the Nicaragua - Las Diosas Cooperative:
- Organization: Founded in 2006, over 360 members
- Geographic Region: Esteli, Nicaragua
- Certifications: Organic - Biolatina; Fairtrade International (FLO); Small Producers (SPP)
- Elevation: 1000- 1,250 m
- Varietals: Arabica: Caturra, Parainema, Marsellesa
Track your coffee to the origin on our Fair Trade Proof website.